Sensory science for your brands
We develop and apply cutting-edge sensory methodology to ensure that our solutions in your foods and drinks meet consumer needs and expectations.
All in a day’s tasting
For the Tate & Lyle Sensory Group, a typical day at the office may be a sweet delight or leave a bitter taste! Our team of scientists – experts in experimental design and statistical analysis – explore perceptual maps and descriptive analysis charts, in pursuit of healthier foods that taste great.
Our sensory service
Our sensory service is essentially a one-stop shop, with every sensory evaluation technique available under one roof. We can prepare samples in specially equipped kitchens in our innovation centres, and test them at computerised sensory stations,
in two-product or multiple comparison sets.
When creating consumer products, we:
- Evaluate the effect of ingredients in consumer products with trained discrimination panels, and clearly defined attributes such as appearance, flavour, texture and aroma.
- Assess consumer acceptance of foods and beverages
- Undertake descriptive analysis, in which trained panellists describe specific attributes – for example, hardness, flakiness, crispness, creaminess, flavour intensity, body/mouthfeel…
- Gather consumer insights, and translate consumer needs into product innovation.
When testing the appeal of our ingredients, we:
- Develop and implement ingredient-specific sensory methods, such as attribute and training standard determination; reference selection; definition of sample and reference preparation; and evaluation and result analysis protocols
- Standardise the use of ingredient-specific sensory methods across our manufacturing units
- Co-ordinate ring-testing in order to secure accurate panel performance
- Offer expertise for ingredient development, process optimisation and quality assurance.